FMCSA Unified Registration System (URS)
Big Registration Requirement Changes on the Horizon
Are you ready for the big changes set to come within FMCSA? On October 23, 2015, the Unified Registration System (URS) will be implemented. The URS will eliminate MC, FF, and MX numbers within the DOT system, require brokers to update their information on a biennial update, and many other big changes. TIA is here to help, below we have a provided a simple list of the big URS provisions.
The URS is a new electronic on-line registration system that will streamline and simplify the FMCSA registration process. It will serve as a clearinghouse for ALL registered entities, and combine multiple registration processes, information technology systems and forms into a single electronic online registration process.
- Effective Dates
- On November 1, 2013, the new enforcement provision for failing to file biennial updates for motor carriers took effect.
- On October 23, 2015, the Agency will require all entities registering or providing information to the Agency to do so through the online URS. (MCS-150 Form)
- URS eliminates MC, FF, and MX numbers. All entities will operate with a USDOT#.
- Biennial Update will require a PIN. If you don’t have a PIN call (800) 832-5660 or visit http://goo.gl/5ZfeCg
- Biennial Update requirement schedule for brokers will be based on a filing schedule based on what number their USDOT# ends in. For example, 1=January, 2=February.
- URS does not affect States issuing USDOT numbers to intrastate carriers.
- URS requires financial responsibility requirements to be filed electronically.
- URS requires that the designation of process agents be done electronically.
- The Agency will still allow the transfer of an authority, but will not oversee the process. The URS does require an operating authority that was transferred to be updated within the system within 30 days.